A Dark Four Saturday:
- Up by Eight. Coffee and yogurt by candlelight, grey dawn outside, drizzling rather than raining which is an improvement.
- Farmers Market haul: Brussels sprouts, chicories, squash, potatoes, apples, pears, chanterelle mushrooms, a duck breast. Raining again, the farmers huddled under their canopies, we're in rain gear with waterproof bags.
- Trout eggs and gulf shrimp from the fishmonger, a pork picnic from the butcher
- Lunch! Shrimp and mushroom sopes. Cheese. Coffee (decaf).
- Wake up to the day already starting to fade. Chores to do: Clear the walnut leaves (juglone, an herbicide) from the herb pots. Carry the basil and lettuce pots downstairs and dump them. Scrape mold from the grill. Dripping, dropping, drizzly afternoon. Slipping on leaves going down the stairs.
- 7-minute workout in the living room. Jumping jacks, pushups and planks.
- Time to cook. Dinner: Sous-vide duck breast, Brussels sprouts, mac and cheese. Cheese. Apple crisp. We eat slow, sharing a bottle of Pinot Noir, watching and listening to the next storm coming in. The rain caught by the glow of the streetlights.
- After-dinner movie. James Bond. The Connery years. Heaters click on as the house takes on its nighttime chill. Wind rattling the picture window.
- In bed by 10:30.